Halloween traditions are always a hit to get into the holiday spirit. Caramel apples are a mouth-watering tradition. Here is a simple and quick caramel apple recipe to help you celebrate Halloween in 2018. Of course you can always get creative and add additional toppings to really show your spooky spirit.
To make things fun you can take the caramel apple recipe and add chocolate drizzles, roll it in sprinkles, or even dip it in a second layer of chocolate.
Caramel Apple Recipe
A quick and easy recipe for delicious Halloween style caramel apples.
Servings: 8 People
- 8 Pink Lady Apples (Granny Smith or other preferred apple ok.)
- 20 - 24 Ounces Soft Caramels
- 2-3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream (Can substitute Milk)
- Sprinkles, crushed Oreos, sliced candy corn, Reese's Pieces, or melted chocolate for drizzling.
- 8 Sticks - Popsicle or Lollipop work well
- Parchment Paper
- Wash each apple well, making sure to remove any wax. If the apple has a shine, wash it in warm water. Dry each apple well. Remove the stems and firmly insert the sticks into the top of each apple. Set aside.
- Line your pan or baking sheet with Parchment paper. Unwrap the soft caramels and add them along with the heavy cream or milk into a medium sized saucepan. Heat the caramels on low-medium heat while occasionally stirring until they are completely melted. Turn down the heat to low.
- Dip and roll each apple in the caramel mixture until it's covered. Allow excess caramel to drip off and then scrape any extra caramel off the bottom of the apple. (To avoid a flat pooling of caramel.) Place apples on Parchment paper and then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until caramel is firm. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes prior to serving to allow the caramel apples to soften up a bit.
Optional Instructions for Toppings
- When using toppings: Roll them in your chosen toppings immediately after adding caramel. You can let the caramel apple sit for 15 - 25 minutes on the Parchment paper prior to drizzling with chocolates. If you are dipping in both caramel and chocolate, dip the apple in the caramel first and wait 30 minutes before redipping into the chocolate mixture. If you dip in chocolate first, it will melt during the caramel application.
Caramel Apple Recipe Tips
- You can refrigerate the apples for at least 30 minutes before dipping them in caramel. A cold apple will help the caramel set quicker and keeps the caramel from dripping off.
- Always heat the caramel carefully. Caramel that gets too hot can begin to change from caramel to toffee. It can change consistency, becoming crunchy and firm which makes it difficult to dip.
- Use extra caramel in a squeeze bottle to drizzle over topped apples for a more creative design.
- If you aren’t going to eat the caramel apples soon, dipping them in a layer of chocolate is a good idea. Chocolate tends to dry firmly and will help keep the caramel in place.
- Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate and white chocolate chips are good for melting into a chocolate coating.
- If you know you won’t be serving caramel apples fresh, it’s best to cover the entire apple with both caramel and chocolate. This includes where the stick punctures the apple.
- Always make sure your caramel apple is completely cool before dipping it in chocolate. The warm caramel can slowly melt the chocolate off your apple.
- Get all your additional toppings prepared before you begin dipping apples. The candy, cookie and nut toppings all need to be applied to the caramel apple immediately after you finish the warm caramel or chocolate dipping. This will help the toppings stick to the caramel apple better.