Halloween is a great time for tricks, treats and trivia! Whether you just want to brush up on fun facts or collect Halloween trivia questions for a party, it’s always a good time to get in the spooky spirit of the holiday. Below you can find Halloween trivia and plenty of quizzes to entertain friends and family this season.
Spooky Halloween Trivia
• The NFL team Baltimore Ravens are named after Edgar Allan Poe’s poem “The Raven.”
• The irrational and persistent fear of clowns is called coulrophobia.
• Sarah Jessica Parker who played a witch in Hocus Pocus, found out her ancestor was arrested and accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials.
• Fear of scarecrows is called formidophobia.
• The theme song to The Addams Family (1991) film was called “Addams Groove” and is performed by Mc Hammer.
• The Thing (1982) film has an entirely male cast.
• Filming for The Blair Witch Project ended on Halloween 1997.
• The viral promotional marketing for Blair Witch Project worked so well that many movie-goers believed the three actors were really dead. The campaign included many tactics like listing the actors as “missing, presumed dead” on IMDb.
• The teeth Heather found in the twigs at the end of Blair Witch Project were real human teeth. (Supplied by a dentist.)
• If you see a Teal Pumpkin this Halloween it means that house will also be providing fun non-food treats to trick-or-treaters. This is to provide a safe and fun Halloween for kids with food allergies. To learn more about the Teal Pumpkin Project go here.
• There are people today who claim to be real vampires. They are sometimes called Sanguinarians.
• Guising, mumming and souling are all practices that evolved into current day trick-or-treating.
• Quija boards were so normal in 1920’s America that the Saturday Evening Post featured a Norman Rockwell illustration on the cover. It had a man and woman with a Quija board on their knees. To learn more about the history of Quija go here.
• The Quija board was so popular that in 1967 it outsold Monopoly, with two million boards sold.
Halloween Trivia Quiz
Hosting a Halloween trivia game at your next holiday celebration is a great way to break the ice for guests and to encourage them to socialize. Halloween trivia questions can be introduced early on in your party so that guests can jump in the fun when they arrive and immediately become part of a team. Another option is to randomly throw out Halloween trivia questions for fun times at the party.
Halloween Trivia Questions #1
1. What should you pour on the doorways and windowsills to keep spirits away?
2. What classic candies were called “chicken feed” when they first came out?
3. What does the word La Chupacabra mean?
4. What is the order of colors on a candy corn, from base to tip?
5. Are pumpkins considered a fruit or a vegetable?
6. What kind of creature is The Thing from the 1982 film The Thing?
7. Which country did Halloween originate in?
8. The Wendigo creature craves one thing more than anything else. What does it crave?
9. What is E.T.’s favorite candy?
10. What 1973 movie convinced Americans to throw out their Quija boards?
Halloween Trivia Answers #1
1. Salt. You can also make piles in the corner of each room in your house and let them sit for 48 hours to absorb any negative energy.
2. Candy Corn.
3. “Goat Sucker.” Named La Chupacabra because it often killed and drained the blood of livestock.
4. Yellow, Orange, White.
5. Fruit. It’s a fruit because of the seeds.
6. An extraterrestrial, aka an Alien.
8. Human flesh.
9. Reese’s Pieces.
10. The Exorcist.
Halloween Trivia Questions #2
1. Who is the killer in the first Friday the 13th (1980) movie?
2. What toy product is banned in Hollywood only on Halloween, under penalty of a $1,000 fine?
3. The movie Hocus Pocus features three witches. What are their names?
4. What does the name Dracula mean?
5. What does Charlie Brown get while trick or treating in It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown?
6. What real life historical ruler of Wallachia was also known as Dracula?
7. What is the name of Dracula’s servant at the insane asylum?
8. What actor’s performance in the 1931 “Dracula” was often regarded as the definitive portrayal of Dracula?
9. Who wrote the novel Dracula?
10. Who is the villain in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow?
Halloween Trivia Answers #2
1. Mrs. Voorhees – Jason’s mother.
2. Silly String.
3. The Sanderson sisters – Mary, Winifred and Sarah.
4. Son of the Dragon.
6. Vlad Tepes aka Vlad the Impaler, Vlad Dracula, Vlad Dracul.
7. R.M. Renfield.
8. Bela Lugosi.
9. Bram Stoker.
10. The Headless Horseman.
Halloween Trivia Questions #3
1. Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?
2. Oogie Boogie from A Nightmare Before Christmas is made out of what?
3. Halloween originated from what Celtic festival?
4. What character did Tim Curry play in The Rocky Horror Picture Show?
5. What stop motion animated film features Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town?
6. Which character in Charlie Brown believes in the Great Pumpkin?
7. What author and poet is known for creepy tales like “The Haunted Palace” and “A Tell-tale Heart?”
8. Who plays the lead in The Wolf Man (1941)?
9. Who said “It’s Halloween. I guess everyone’s entitled to one good scare.” in the movie Halloween H20?
10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is loosely based on what real life serial killer?
Halloween Trivia Answers #3
1. Mary Shelley.
2. Insects and spiders.
4. Dr. Frank-N-Furter.
5. The Nightmare Before Christmas.
7. Edgar Allan Poe.
8. Lon Chaney Jr.
9. Famous actress Janet Leigh, who is also the mother of Jamie Lee Curtis, while playing the character Norma Watson.
10. Ed Gein.
Halloween Trivia Questions #4
1. What costume does E.T. wear on Halloween?
2. Which Catholic holiday is Halloween linked to?
3. Which actress plays Laurie Strode in John Carpenter’s Halloween movies?
4. What scream queen was the victim of Norman Bates in the famous Psycho shower scene?
5. What do you suffer from if you are diagnosed with Samhainophobia?
6. What two horror movies have the famous mother daughter pair Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis appeared in together?
7. What are other names for Halloween?
8. What day were Harry Potter’s parents killed by Lord Voldemort?
9. Harry Potter is chosen to compete as a Triwizard Champion in his fourth year at Hogwarts. On what holiday does his name come out of the Goblet of Fire?
10. Finally, what will you dress up as for Halloween this year?
Halloween Trivia Answers #4
2. All Saints Day.
3. Jamie Lee Curtis.
4. Janet Leigh as Marion Crane.
5. An intense fear of Halloween.
6. Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later and The Fog.
7. All Saints Day, Samhain, Hallowe’en, All Hallows Eve, Feast of the Dead.
8. On Halloween! October 31, 1981.
9. On Halloween.
10. Anything you want!
Use Halloween Trivia Questions at Parties
Another option for playing Halloween trivia at your event is to pick your favorite Halloween trivia questions from above and print out a Halloween trivia worksheet. You can use colorful and fun seasonal graphics and place your Halloween Trivia worksheets around the party with pencils. This allows party guests to work on them together and to make new friends. Make sure you pick a time and go over the answers with everyone in a fun way. You can throw candy to the crowd or serve dessert as a reward for filling out the Halloween trivia questions.
Check out these pages for help throwing a Halloween party, choosing a Halloween party theme, and even picking a party music playlist.
→ For more Halloween trivia, check out our Halloween Fun Facts page.